Most homeowners learn some DIY plumbing repair or replacement techniques over time because property maintenance can be expensive if you always rely on professionals. While some repairs are easy, others require professional assistance. At Cheap Plumber Toronto, we have been called to fix many problems caused by DIY repairs so we advise against.
Differences Between DIY and Professional Plumbing Repairs
Professional plumbers undergo years of training, have experience, and understand established standards well, which ensure their repairs are durable as well as effective. They can handle complex repairs easily and have access to useful tools that make their job easier. Most homeowners don’t have these skills or tools, which is why it’s a good idea to hire professionals for complex plumbing problems. Here are some of the biggest differences between inexperienced and professional plumbers in Toronto:
- Long lasting – DIY plumbing repairs are often flimsy, not secured properly enough to last for a long time. Unfortunately, that means you need to perform repairs repeatedly and that is a waste of time. Professionals offer a warranty on their services so they make it a point to ensure all repairs are long-lasting. This means you don’t have to deal with frequent repairs.
- Good quality parts or replacements – An experienced plumber in Toronto will know the difference between good quality replacement parts or fixtures and bad quality ones. They’re familiar with different brands, know about plumbing materials, and have seen the real-life performance of various installations.
Plumbing repairs can go wrong from time to time; pipes can burst, installations can fail, or basements can flood. With DIY repairs, you have no choice but to pay for these damages out of your pocket. However, plumbers are covered with insurance policies so if anything goes wrong during installation or repairs, expenses are covered.
Common DIY Plumbing Mistakes
DIY plumbers are more likely to make mistakes than professional ones, especially if they haven’t performed any repairs before. Most common DIY mistakes are:
- Not shutting off the water supply to the affected area.
- Not using the right tools for repairs.
- Mismatched pipe or fixture sizes that don’t fit in properly, forming a tight seal.
- Performing plumbing work without a permit when it is required.
If you want to know more about our services, don’t hesitate to contact us at Cheap Plumber.